A degree in accounting and finance has long been viewed as an excellent grounding for a career in business, regardless of whether you intend to become a professionally qualified accountant or not.
For students that are already considering undertaking a professional accounting qualification, the degree has been structured to provide the maximum possible number of exemptions (9 foundations papers in total) from the professional examinations of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the global body for professional accountants.
Whether you want to move into auditing, financial reporting, management accounting, or financial services, this could be the course for you. You’ll develop subject-specific skills alongside important transferable skills like communication, enterprise, problem-solving and quantitative analysis.
The degree syllabus has also been carefully designed to combine both theoretical and practical aspects of finance and accountancy. This enables students to gain an excellent grounding in accounting and finance tools and techniques together with the wider understanding and real-world insights required by all finance professionals.
Full details of ACCA Exemptions below;
Completion of the following modules will give direct exemptions for;
1. Financial Auditing (MOD003377) – Audit and Assurance
2. Financial Management in Organisations (MOD003462)
3. Financial Reporting for Businesses (MOD003459) – Financial Reporting (FR)
4. Managing Business Performance (MOD003460) – Performance Management (PM)
5. Taxation for Business (MOD003461) – Taxation (TX)
Completion of our BSc Finance and Accounting course would also enable you to obtain exemptions for the following ACCA modules:
- Accountant in Business (AB)
- Management Accounting (MA)
- Financial Accounting (FA)
- Corporate and Business Law (LW)
See below for the modules which you will study:
- Business Environment
- Academic and Professional Skills
- Business Planning
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Legal Aspects of Business
- Managing Business Performance
- Financial Reporting for Business
- Taxation for Business
- Financial Management in Organisations
- Business Strategy
- Financial Auditing
- Undergraduate Major Project (Integrated Case Study)
Teaching and assessment
We will assess your progress through a variety of methods from coursework, group assignments, activity-based assignments and exams. You can expect to part take in on-going problem-solving activities, projects and presentations. You’ll also be able to access support material through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
All assignments are designed with your career progression in mind and give you opportunities to develop and improve transferable skills employers look for.
- The standard offer is 104 UCAS tariff points from 3 A-Levels, e.g. BCC.
- Irish Leaving Certificate: BBCCC.
- Scottish Highers: BBCCC.
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DMM in a business-related subject.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: 24 points.
Applicants studying for other qualifications should contact the GCRD Admission team to discuss their circumstances.
- We also welcome applications from mature individuals who can demonstrate appropriate, relevant work experience.
All applicants are required to have at least 5 GCSEs at C/4 or above including English and Maths. Students whose first language is not English and who have not previously studied in the UK are required to have IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
Our published entry requirements are a guide only and our decision will be based on our assessment of your overall suitability for the course. We treat everyone as an individual which means we will look at your whole application including any relevant work experience and personal circumstances as well as your educational qualifications.
We encourage all students to consider their future when choosing what degree to study. We don't expect everyone to know what they want to do after university, but it is important that the associated jobs interest you.
- Chartered Accountant
- Tax Adviser
- Forensic Accountant
- Accounting Technician
- Company Secretary
- Finance Officer