Regardless of industry, there’s no getting around the importance of data, especially when it comes to making business strategies. The demand for data scientists is ever-rising. A report by Harvard Business Review suggests that the shortage of data scientists has become a serious constraint in certain sectors. Data Scientists carry out applied research to create innovative data-driven solutions to business problems. Usually, they work with large, complex, varied, and unstructured data sets that are not suitable for using traditional data analysis approaches and techniques. This programme is specifically designed to enable you to develop this in-depth technical knowledge that will allow you to discover new data-driven solutions.
- Develop in-demand skills to work in a range of roles in the IT industry
- Enhance your knowledge in the application of programming language, big data and machine learning on the cloud
- The Advanced Practice includes an Internship or Group Consultancy Project, enhancing your employability with all-important work experience
- This programme has been designed to meet the accreditation criteria of BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional
- Upon completion of your programme, you will be eligible for the QA Professional Pathways programmes which will enable you to further develop your skills with one of the UK’s largest providers of IT and project management training
What will I study?
To accelerate your learning, you will be exposed to theories, methods, tools, and technologies (including SQL, MySQL, Python, R language or similar) relating to the design, development and testing of data science applications for business intelligence.
You will train and deploy distributed machine learning models using a cloud-based platform such as Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure or AWS or similar and machine learning technology using TensorFlow. You will also be exposed to the fundamental concepts, principles, technologies, and techniques of big data analytics.
You will be able to apply this knowledge and skill in your context, and critically analyse the implementation and recommend future improvements. Recognising that information governance and cyber security are critical to the adoption and use of computing systems in businesses and organisations, you will also cover fundamental concepts, principles, techniques and tools of information governance and cyber security.
All modules on this course are core and 20 credits unless otherwise stated.
- Information Governance and Cyber Security
- Leadership in a Digital Age
- Applied Data Science
- Academic Language Skills for Computer and Information Sciences (0 credits)
- Research Methods for Professional Practice
- Big Data Analytics
- Machine Learning on Cloud
- Computing and Digital Technologies Project (60 credits)
Advanced Practice stage
You will choose one of the following modules:
- Engineering and Environment Advanced Practice London Campus – Consultancy Project (60 credits)
- Engineering and Environment Advanced Practice London Campus – Research Project (60 credits)
- Engineering and Environment Advanced Practice London Campus Internship (60 credits)
Minimum 2:2 honours degree, or equivalent in any subject
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5, with no single element below 5.5, or equivalent.
If you don’t meet the academic requirements
Applicants who are not graduates and do not hold professional qualifications of equivalent standing can also be considered for entry if they show evidence of strong motivation and capability for academic study and personal development (e.g. evidence of attendance at short courses) and/or suitable experience of working in areas which involve a significant amount of Information Technology.
Please note that if your qualifications are not in English, we might need certified translations in order to proceed with your application.
Careers and further study
This Master’s programme has been designed to ensure that graduates will be equipped to work in a variety of careers in the IT industry or to progress to academic or research-orientated careers. Indeed, the qualification is designed to accelerate your skills and competence in a range of job roles, including roles in leadership and management such as:
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Data Engineer
- Business Analyst
- Data and Analytics Manager
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- AI Cloud Architect
- Data Architect
Furthermore, this programme will prepare you to meet the educational requirements of the BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.