This programme is a foundation degree designed for individuals who may not have formal academic qualifications beyond school level, and who may be currently working in any business organisation. This two-year foundation degree programme is designed to help students develop their career in business and management.
The programme corresponds with the first two years of an Honours degree and is designed to stand-alone as a qualification with the opportunity for students to apply and progress onto a third-year ‘top-up’ to complete a full BA (Hons) undergraduate degree in business and management. This foundation degree will develop students’ awareness and knowledge of business and key issues that affect modern organisations and how they are managed.
The programme is delivered using a combination of taught face-to-face modules and self-study; the work experience of learners is drawn upon and discussed in combination with theoretical studies to maximize the ability of learners to transfer theoretical learning from the classroom to the workplace, and vice versa.
Students will also undertake work-based practice in an organisational setting of their choice. Furthermore, students will have the opportunity to choose assessments that are consistent with their learning styles. What’s covered in the course?
The programme requires the completion of eight compulsory modules at level 4 and 5, each worth 30 credit points.
Stage 1 (Level 4):
- Academic and Employability skills
- The role of marketing in business organisations
- Leading and managing in business organisations
- Legal issues in business organisations
Stage 2 (Level 5):
- Global business environment:
- Work-based learning
- Managing financial resources:
- Managing human resources:
The programme is delivered using a mix of taught face-to-face modules and self-study. You'll use problem-based learning to examine, challenge and debate different areas of management and business. You'll work in small teams to think about issues and discuss how to manage situations.
By combining examples from your own work experience with studies in theory, you'll learn to take theory from the classroom to workplace practice.
Alongside classroom lectures, seminars, debates, tutorials and workshops, you will go on company visits, hear from guest speakers and learn to use cutting-edge e-learning technology.
Your progress on the course will be tested through coursework, case studies, business simulations, presentations, reports, essays, exams and timed assessments.
To apply for this course you need one of the following qualifications in a relevant subject area:
- 40 UCAS points from a minimum of two GSCEs/A Levels/AVCE or equivalent. We will also accept PPP at BTEC Extended Diploma level.
- BTEC Level 3
- NVQ Level 3
- Modern Apprenticeship (NVQ Level 3 plus Key Skills)
- We also require two passes at GCSE grade C or above, which must include Mathematics and English Language, or a minimum of Level 2 Key Skills in Communication and Application of Number. If you have studied for a GCSE which has a numerical grade then you will need to achieve a grade 4 or above.
- You may also be eligible to apply if you don’t have formal qualifications but you do have at least two years’ relevant work experience.
This course gets you ready for a leading role in business. With an industry focus, you'll be prepared with the key skills and knowledge top employers are looking for in their managers.
You’ll get a foundation in the successful running of a business, learning the transferable skills you'll need to manage operations, make informed decisions and be a change leader in your industry.
This degree is a path to roles in business analysis, account management, sales, marketing and more.
Our business and management students have gone on to work for major companies including Transport for London, Primark, Pancontinental Logistics and more.