Do you have a passion for computing?
Are you fascinated by modern technologies?
This degree programme focuses on the technical aspects of computing, placing a strong emphasis on programming skills. This will help you to attain the vital technical knowledge required to pursue a range of IT careers, as well as the transferable employability skills needed to secure your first role.
The BSc (Hons) Computing is a hands-on degree programme that encourages students to develop an extensive knowledge of computer programming. You will have the opportunity to develop these skills by designing, building and implementing computer systems, culminating in a major final-year software development project.
About The Course
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
Through engaging, contemporary and industry-relevant units that are academically rigorous, stimulating and challenging, you will build specialist transferable skills that facilitate your development as an independent learner, whilst gaining expertise in a range of business functions and topics.
On this programme, you will develop a range of applicable IT skills such as programming, databases, networking, usability and web technologies, whilst an emphasis is placed on enhancing your personal attributes in communication,
project management, teamwork and presentation skills through group and project work.
With a strong focus on programming (using Java and Python), the course includes a variety of software development, database, web development and networking units. You will also dent also look at web APIs, JSON, HTML5 and big data analytics.
This course is delivered as part of a partnership between QA Higher Education and Solent University. The programme is validated by the University and delivered by QA Higher Education.
TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT
You’ll be taught using a range of teaching methods that include lectures, seminars and laboratory sessions, totalling 9-12 hours per week. You will also be expected to engage in independent study, around 38 hours per week.
You will have access to Solent’s virtual learning environment that provides quick online access to assignments, lecture notes, suggested reading and other course information.
Assessments are based on coursework and exams.
This course is even offered with Foundation year as well hence it will be 4 years of studies in case the student does not have the relevant qualification to join a three-year course
All units are core and are worth 20 credits unless specified.
- Introduction to Networks
- Introduction to Databases
- Web Technologies
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- Cyber Security Essentials
- Mobile Application Development
- Enterprise Database Development
- Developing for the Internet
- Human-Digital Interaction Design
- Network Implementation
- Graduate & Professional Development
- You will choose 2 optional units from the 4 available.
- Project (40 credits)
- Engineering Mobile Applications
- Data Science
- Cloud Computing (optional)
- Network Management (optional)
- Web Application Development (optional)
- Internet of Things (optional)
This course provides the academic skills and professional qualifications you’ll need to pursue a career in a wide range of areas. Graduates of this course possess a broad array of skills and specialisms, making them well suited for a diverse
range of computing roles, from software development or IT support to web development and networking.
KEY ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THREE YEARS COURSE
To study this programme, you will need to meet the following entry requirements:
- 72-96 UCAS points
- A minimum of two completed A-levels, a BTEC Extended Diploma at MMM or BTEC Diploma at DD or equivalent
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- GCSE English at Grade 4 or above (previously Grade C)
- IELTS 6.0 with no component less than 5.5 in each band, or equivalent. Functional Skills Level 2 in English.
(Alternatively, applicants can sit the QA Higher Education English test)
KEY ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR FOUR YEARS COURSE WHICH INCLUDES FOUNDATION YEAR
- 48 UCAS points
- A minimum of two completed A-levels, a BTEC Extended Diploma at PPP or BTEC Diploma at MP or equivalent.
- GCSE English at grade 4 or above (previously grade C).
- We will consider mature students who haven’t recently undertaken a formalised course of study at A-level or equivalent, but who can demonstrate relevant workplace or voluntary experience, indicating their ability to complete the course successfully.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- GCSE English at Grade 4 or above (previously grade C)
- IELTS 5.5 with no component less than 5.0 in each band, or equivalent. (Alternatively, applicants can sit the QA
Higher Education English test)
EVENING AND WEEKEND STUDY
One of our study options available for UK and EU nationals includes evenings and weekends.
This study option offers exactly the same levels of student support and the ability to balance your full-time studies with your personal life.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Software Development
- Web Design
- IT Support
- Network Management
- Project Management
- Database Management
Examples of employment obtained by recent graduates include working for Ordix AG, Bottomline Technologies, FDM Group, Dev Net Mobile AG, and Accenture.